Immediate implants episode 4: Influence of the emergence profile on success
- Two types of provisionals for immediately placed implants
- How to optimize the emergence profile and design the critical and the sub-critical contour in each case
- Three aims or requirements of provisionalization of immediately placed implants
- How to optimize the soft tissues and esthetic outcome
- Transfer the information to the lab technician and prosthetic restorative decision making
Recently published in the International Journal of Periodontics and Restorative Dentistry (Jan/Feb, 40(1) 2020), Dr. Oscar Gonzales-Martin discusses contour management of implant restorations for optimal emergence profiles and provides guidelines for immediate and delayed provisional restorations. He defines two distinct zones of the implant-abutment crown: the critical contour and the subcritical contour and sheds light on how design impacts the soft tissue architecture and final esthetic outcome. Moderator Joe Kan and the expert panel discuss how to transfer the information to the lab technician and prosthetic restorative decision making.