Successful third Consensus Conference of the Foundation for Oral Rehabilitation
The Foundation for Oral Rehabilitation (FOR) held its 2016 Consensus Conference last Nov.30 to Dec.1 at the University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine on the topic of prosthetic protocols in implant-based rehabilitation. Dr. Markus Blatz, Professor and Chair of Preventive & Restorative Sciences at Penn Dental Medicine and Dr. Charles Goodacre, FOR’s Education Council and former Dean of the Loma Linda University School of Dentistry, served as Co-Chairs of the meeting, bringing together an international panel of experts in the field of prosthodontics.
From upper left to lower left: Drs. Markus Blatz, Joannis Katsoulis, Vygandas Rutkunas, Avinash Bidra, Radi Masri, Frank Tuminelli, Charles Goodacre, Wael Att, Friedrich Neukam, Petra Gierthmühlen, Daniel van Steenberghe
Selected participants conducted systematic literature reviews on different aspects of implant-based rehabilitation prior to the meeting for discussion by the group assembled. The literature review topics and presentations included:
- removable versus fixed implant-supported dentures by Dr. Charles Goodacre, (Distinguished Professor and former Dean, Loma Linda University School of Dentistry, USA) and Co-Chair of the conference);
- clinical outcomes of full arch implant-supported zirconia prostheses by Dr. Avinash Bidra (Clinical Associate Professor and Director of Postgraduate Prosthodontics, University of Connecticut School of Dental Medicine, USA);
- influence of abutment material on biologic/clinical outcomes by Dr. Radi Masri (Associate Professor, University of Maryland School of Dentistry, USA);
- immediate-load zygoma implants by Dr. Frank Tuminelli (Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Dental Medicine, Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine);
- full-contour monolithic implant restorations by Dr. Petra Gierthmuehlen (Professor and Chair, Department of Prosthodontics, University of Duesseldorf School of Dental Medicine, Germany);
- digital versus conventional implant impressions by Dr.Vygandas Rutkunas (Associate Professor at Institute of Odontology and Head of the Department of Dental and Prosthetic Clinic at Vilnius University, Lithuania); and
- fit of prosthetic components and clinical outcomes by Dr. Joannis Katsoulis (Professor, Department of Prosthodontics at University of Bern School of Dental Medicine, Switzerland).
- material selection and clinical outcomes by Dr. Wael Att (Professor and Director of Postgraduate Prosthodontics, University of Freiburg School of Dental Medicine, Germany)
- clinical performance of CAD/CAM monolithic ceramic implant-supported restorations bonded to titanium inserts by Dr. Markus Blatz, (Professor and Chair of Preventive & Restorative Sciences at Penn Dental Medicine, USA) and Co-Chair of the conference.
Other participants included advisor Dr. Daniel van Steenberghe, (Professor Emeritus, University of Leuven, Belgium); Dr. Friedrich Neukam, FOR Chairman (Professor and Chair, Department of Oral and Cranio-Maxillofacial Surgery at Erlangen-Nuremberg University Dental School, Germany); and Ursula Stocker and Dr. Natalia Martinez of the FOR team.
“We were honored and proud of the opportunity to host and chair this exceptional conference with global leaders and authorities in the field of prosthodontics, who have compiled an extraordinary wealth of significant and relevant information,” said Dr. Blatz. “High-quality systematic reviews and consensus conferences have become increasingly important in recent years as the back bone of evidence-based dentistry.”
The outcomes of the conference will be published, as a special issue, in the highly ranked European Journal of Oral Implantology (publication is anticipated Mid-2017) and will also be shared on FOR’s Consensus Conference landing page: https://www.for.org/en/learn/consensus-papers.
We encourage you to stay tuned for more information.